Detailed Guide on How to Write a Perfect Narrative Essay
If you are reading this article, supposedly, you are a college student who has problems writing a high-quality, well-structured, and grammatically-correct narrative paper. Well, you are in the right place, as I understand your struggle and can help you face the challenge and overcome it.
My experience of creative writing started with an argumentative essay, and I will never forget about it. How should I start the paper? What should be included? Are there any crucial parts that should obligatorily be there? Fortunately, I always have my friend Brandon by my side. I should be honest with you, so I can tell that he is a much better writer than I am. If you happen to read his compare and contrast essay or any other type of writing, you will be impressed by how the time flies. Engaging introduction, compelling arguments, and perfect conclusion will make you notice no passage of time. Why do I tell you about Brandon? He is the one who helps me with complicated assignments I get.
Recently, I had to produce an interesting and involving narrative essay for my class. I have experience working on a persuasive essay, argumentative, and some other types of creative writing, but have never come across a narrative one. So, it took me some time and effort to learn what a narrative text is, what it should include and how it should be presented.
Narrative Essay Definition
The narrative text is an academic paper that is written as a story. To be a good narrative essay writer, you need to follow the style, creating a personal and experiential paper. At the same time, it is inevitable to mind the general requirements and rules of academic writing.
What is a Narrative Essay
Unlike other kinds of writing, narrative essays are academic papers that allow maximum creativity and freedom. When I asked Brandon about how to produce an excellent essay, he told me that I should think about the story I want to share and tell it with regard to the scholarly rules. There is no need to be precise and accurate. Instead, you need to make your text engaging and involving.
Still, an impeccable narrative story contains traditional parts, such as introduction, main body (with development of events, climax, and resolution).
Finding Examples of Narrative Essays Online
Even after reading tons of theoretical facts about this type of paper, I still had problems with the fundamental narrative essay ideas. At that point, I had no other way out better than browsing the Internet searching for inspiration. I was fortunate to come across perfect samples of flawless texts that helped me get numerous techniques and methods of creative writing I later applied in my works.
Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Narrative Paper
Finally, you can proceed directly to the process of essay writing. There is an unlimited number of different tips and recommendations writers can use to contribute to the high quality and efficiency of their essays. Below you will find the ones that help me succeed.
If your instructor provides you with a narrative essay topic, your task is a bit simplified. At least, you may skip the first point, thinking about what you will tell readers about. Instead, you may head directly to the emotional part of the text. The most engaging and involving the topic is, the more effective and impressive your narration will be. Keep in mind that every single detail matters.
Narrative Essay Outline: Basic Tips to the Flawless Effect
A narrative essay is a comparatively informal kind of academic writing. However, it should still be written in accordance with the basic writing rules. An extended outline will help you structure the text. Maximum clarity, minimum detail is the key principle of the efficient outline.
Care for the Catchy Introduction
This is an opening part that aims to introduce the theme and the main problem of the text. It should be short, concise, and logical. Working on the narrative essay, the introductory passage is crucial, as you can get the readers' attention and help them dive into the setting. A catchy hook and a transparent thesis are mandatory.
Proceed to the Involving Body Paragraphs
Check out different narrative essay examples, which will provide you with impressive ideas and interesting concepts to improve the quality of the biggest part of your paper. Divide the text into meaningful parts, offering a single idea per passage. Follow the logical pattern and watch the succession of the events.
Conclusion Is Important
You are almost done with the writing. There is another significant point you should mention in your essay. Keep in mind that the concluding paragraph is as crucial as an introduction. The writer should emphasize the basic ideas of the text, reiterate the thesis, mention the lesson of your narrative and encourage readers to keep investigating the topic.
Unfortunately, most students skip this point. Nonetheless, it is the prominent stage that may advance the quality of the paper. Editing your narrative essay is the concluding chord that should never be omitted. Take a deep breath, review your work, rearrange specific parts, proofread and pass it.
What Are the Various Types of Narrative Essays
When I was working on one of my narrative essays, Brandon approached me, asking about the type of narrative essay I wanted to craft. You can only imagine how confused I got to realize that there were several options to choose from. Later, I learned that similar to the cause and effect essay and other forms of academic writing, the narrative text can be of a few types.
Have you already started working on your assignment? Take your time and learn the information about the specifications of different narrative papers.
5 Types of Narrative Essays
Browsing the Internet in search of inspiration or ideas for your narrative text, you will come across five different methods of writing a narrative essay. Select the one and mind its features, specifications, and peculiarities as you proceed with your work.
- Descriptive. This is undoubtedly one of my favorite types of narrative papers, as I can apply my knowledge and writing skills to connect key ideas, imagery, and details of the event in order to convey the sense of place, time, mood, and atmosphere.
- Viewpoint. In this paper, the narrator's task is to help readers understand the feelings, beliefs, values, emotions, and views of the main character. It is a powerful essay that makes people think and analyze different situations to interpret the protagonist's behavior.
- Historical. As I am not very enthusiastic about history, this is the most challenging and complicated task of narration for me. However, following specific guidelines and tips, I can cope with the task. If you have ever happened to craft an autobiography, biography, or other historical subgenres, you will not have problems with the narrative text. Maximum relevance, chronological order, and attention to detail matter a lot.
- Linear. Working on this type of creative writing, the writer should care for the right succession of events. In most cases, this type of narration is used in realist fiction, where the author strives to create a sense of life unfolding.
- Nonlinear. There is no need to present the events chronologically when you need to produce a nonlinear essay. The only thing the writer should consider is the quality representation of the consciousness and emotional state of the narrator, as well as other crucial facts.
Narrative Essay Structure
Narrative essay writing is a creative process that requires maximum inspiration and motivation. At the same time, an excellent structure and flawless style are still crucial. To tell the truth, this is one of my weakest points when it comes to this type of academic writing. Brandon reminds me of the introduction, body, and conclusion I need to include every time I start crafting the text. Therefore, I never pass my essays without proofreading and editing.
If you recognize your problem in my words, I am glad to tell you that the struggle is real, and I am going to help you out. Let's start with the basics that should be included in any narrative paper.
You will be excited to hear that striving to craft a flawless narrative paper, you need to pay ultimate attention to its structure. According to the reviews of my fellow students, the overwhelming majority of problems are related to the introductory passage. While most learners have no idea how to start a narrative essay, I am quite experienced in it. Basically, there are three crucial points that will add to your opening paragraph and make it perfect.
- Catchy hook. Personal, reflective, and intriguing, these are the adjectives that describe an impeccable narration. However, if you want your readers to relish the whole text, you need to make it engaging and involving right from the very first sentence.
- Impressive background information. Little details about the protagonist and the setting of the event will help readers immerse themselves in the story.
- Concise thesis statement. The last sentence of the introductory passage is crucial. Here you need to specify the main idea or the argument of the whole essay. It should obligatorily be logical, short, and informative.
Unlike the vast majority of other types of academic writing, narratives require more creativity and attention to detail. Still, it is crucial to follow the traditional structure, dividing your key ideas into several paragraphs. However, this is not the most significant rule you need to remember. Several months ago, Brandon specified numerous elements that should be included in the body part. I have been using them since that moment, and none of my papers got a low score.
- Background or setting. The main task of the writer, crafting a narrative paper, is to make it true-to-life, realistic, and relevant. Therefore, start with descriptions that will help the audience immerse themselves into the atmosphere. Mention important facts, like the place, time, and participants of the event.
- Related events. Highlight the circumstances under which the situation develops.
- Participants. Describe the main and secondary characters which are mentioned in the story.
- Action. It is inevitable to tell the narrative in chronological order.
- Climax. The succession of events and actions should lead to the most emotional and impressive point.
- Lesson. Also known as morale, it is the final idea that should be included in the body part. Why do you tell the story? What do you want the readers to pay attention to? How can the audience benefit from reading your narration?
After you have accomplished work on the key body paragraphs, you need to double-check your knowledge of how to end a narrative essay. Proceed to the next step to advance the efficiency and relevance of your paper to a completely different level.
This is undeniably a highly challenging part of the paper for me. If I can easily deal with other points, I rarely have an interesting idea of how to conclude a narrative essay. Again, Brandon is always by my side, aiding me to deal with challenging tasks. Here are some of the top effective tips I always use in my texts.
- Summarize the paper. Emphasize the crucial ideas mentioned in the narration.
- Restate the thesis. Reiterate the basic statement to finalize the text.
- Give a lesson. Your paper should not only inform the readers of a specific topic but also give grounds for further thinking and reflection.